The weather is cooler, and the leaves are starting to change colors. There’s no doubt that fall is in the air, and that means it’s time to make sure the HVAC system in your Southwest Georgia home is ready to keep you warm as the temperature starts to drop. When you’re ready to get to work, grab a pen and a pumpkin spice latte and use this handy checklist to inspect and test your heating and cooling systems.
Air Conditioner Maintenance
It’s important to shut your air conditioner down for the season. The following air conditioning maintenance steps will help guide you.
- Turn the power off.
- Clean the compressor using a soft brush and vacuum.
- Use your vacuum to clean outer fins and remove the buildup of dirt and dust.
- Straighten any bent fins and then spray them clean.
- Clean/replace the air filter.
- Turn the unit back on.
- Inspect your ducts for leaks. Make sure all sections are properly connected and that there aren’t gaps between connections.
- Clean your registers.
- If it’s been a while, consider scheduling a full-service duct cleaning. This will help improve indoor air quality throughout the winter.
- Make sure the battery is working properly.
- Test thermostat controls to ensure proper function and calibration.
- Inspect wires, buttons, knobs, etc. Replace any that are damaged or nonfunctional.
Geothermal System Maintenance
- Inspect your geothermal system’s condensate drains for standing water and blockages.
- Make sure your vents are open, free of debris, and not covered by furniture.
- Review your owner’s manual. Be sure to complete system-specific tasks recommended by the manufacturer.
Heat Pump Maintenance
- Make sure there’s no ice/snow buildup on the heat pump.
- Check the coils for leaks, and clean them of debris.
- Change the air filter.
- Prune surrounding shrubs.
- Make sure to oil the fan motor (if not sealed).
Our Fall Maintenance Services at Harrell King
The kids are back in school, the holidays are just around the corner, and everyone in Georgia is busy as the weather cools down. If you don’t have time to take care of your fall HVAC maintenance, don’t worry. The team at Harrell King Heating & Air is happy to help.
Our certified, licensed, and fully insured HVAC professionals can perform the necessary tests, inspections, and calibrations. We will go through your systems carefully and efficiently to ensure that every component and function is ready to do its job this winter.
We encourage you to contact the Harrell King team at 229-243-8040 to schedule furnace maintenance, thermostat repairs, duct service, or geothermal system services in the Southwest Georgia region!