The mad dash is upon us! School’s back in session, work is back to a routine, and summer’s just about over.
It’s at this time when you might start bracing yourself for the upcoming onslaught of bills. Car payments, home payments, food, school, phone and more. Where does it end?
Home Savings Made Easy
At Harrell King, it’s a top priority of ours to make comfort affordable, efficient, and as easy as can be for our customers. From a steady regiment of maintenance to ENERGY STAR products, our team takes every step possible to help you get the most from your heating, cooling, and air quality systems.
To help make the transition from summer more seamless, here are our five home hacks to help you start saving big:
- Set it & Forget It. You may or may not be aware of the true benefits of a programmable thermostat, but consider this: a programmable thermostat could be saving you close to 20% on your annual energy bill. Instead of having to adjust the thermostat throughout the day, a programmable device allows you to set preferences and maximize savings.
- People, Not Places. Contrary to popular belief, electric fans don’t cool rooms, they cool people. In actuality, they create more heat through the motors they use. The cooling effect comes from the increased evaporation caused when fans force air over our skin. To save money, make sure to turn fans off whenever you leave the room.
- Take It Down a Notch. Hot water is certainly a great home asset. However, your water heater doesn’t have to work so strenuously to deliver hot water. Boost your savings by setting your water heater to 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Also consider insulating your water pipes to prevent heat from escaping before it reaches it’s main destination. The less work your heating system has to do the better, as home heating is usually the main offender in high annual energy bills.
- The Right Kind of Lighting. Many homes and offices keep lights on 24/7 to ward off potential threats to security. And while this may add some comfort, consider the savings and peace of mind that could come from having a motion detector or timers for outside lighting. Another benefit of going this route is the added lifespan for your light bulbs in use, since they don’t have to be on 24/7 or when it may be otherwise unnecessary. It’s also worth considering a solar-charged set of walkway or path lighting, which automatically activate at dusk and run off of energy gathered throughout the day.
- Clean It Like You Mean It. A simple laundry cycle is a big energy drain, but you can greatly reduce your utility bill by changing how you handle the laundry. Check with your energy company (for Georgia Power click here) and your energy plan. For some, it may make more sense to do laundry in the evening, when energy rates are reduced.
Make sure to remove dryer lint from the lint trap before every load to keep the airflow rate high. Make sure to regularly clean the external dryer vent as well. Lastly, wash only very full loads of laundry to reduce the amount of water ad energy needed. Shake out each piece of clothing before throwing it in the dryer to increase its surface area.
Keep The Savings Rolling.
Looking for some more ways to improve your home’s comfort? Take the necessary steps to improve your indoor air quality. Make sure you know how to choose the right contractor for the job. And if you’re really serous about savings, learn more about the huge service savings that come after becoming a Crown Savings Member.
Trust your heating and cooling system maintenance, installation and repair to Harrell King.
We won’t let you down!