In an area like Southwest Georgia where excessive levels of heat and humidity are common air conditioning is a necessity rather than a luxury. If you’ve been experiencing a lackluster performance from your cooling system or it has stopped working altogether you may be facing the decision of whether to repair or replace your AC, but how do you know which one to choose?
The Benefits of Air Conditioner Replacement
HVAC equipment is a big investment, but when professionally installed and maintained it will provide you with years of comfort and efficient service. Additional benefits include:
- Energy savings. If your current cooling system is nearing or over 10 years of age, you’re likely to benefit from a newer more energy efficient model. The SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) of many older air conditioners still in use may be as low as 6 SEER but new minimum requirements for the state of Georgia means that all new air conditioners sold today must be a minimum of 14 SEER, for a potential energy savings of over 50 percent.
- Warranty. New equipment comes with a manufacturers warranty that can help you save on the cost of repairs.
- Reduced carbon footprint. By the year 2020 R-22 refrigerant commonly used in older model air conditioners will no longer be allowed due to environmental concerns. Investing in a new R-410A unit puts you ahead of the deadline.
- Enhanced comfort. Improvements in technology provide greater comfort and humidity control.
- Peace of mind. Rest easy knowing that your new air conditioner will provide you with reliable cooling all summer long.
When to Opt for Air Conditioning Repair
Just because your air conditioner is underperforming or malfunctioning it doesn’t mean replacement is imminent. Here are some tips on how to tell if air conditioner repair is the better option.
- Age. If your air conditioner is less than seven years old it is likely worth repairing rather than replacing.
- The 50 percent rule. If the cost of repairs are less than 50 percent of replacement and they have been infrequent, opt for repairing.
- Lack of maintenance. Before you consider replacing your AC ask yourself when the last time was that you scheduled annual preventive maintenance. If it’s been more than a year call the professionals at Harrell King who may be able to increase the performance and efficiency of the unit with an inspection, cleaning, and tuning.
- You’re moving. If you’re planning to move over the next year or two it may make more financial sense to repair rather than replace your cooling system.
When to Call Harrell King for Air Conditioning Repair
Here are some warning signs that you need to call for professional service:
- Rising energy costs. A sudden rise in energy costs means a decrease in efficiency that should be investigated.
- Unusual noises. Grinding, squealing, gurgling or hissing noises are all signs of serious issues that require immediate attention.
- Reduced airflow. A lack of cool air may simply mean your air filter is clogged but it can also signal a much larger problem.
Air Conditioning Repair & Replacement Services in Southwest Georgia
The skilled professionals at Harrell King can help you make an informed decision on whether to repair or replace your air conditioner based on knowledge and expertise. Call today at 229-243-8040 or contact us online.